The Kings have the second overall pick for the 2008 Entry Draft. I am definitely fine with this since the Kings had a shot at the top 3 overall picks. Having the second pick means that Kings fans don’t have the right to be upset at Lombardi for not drafting Steven Stamkos, which was not going to happen. If we had gotten the first pick, I could have seen Lombardi trading down and getting another high pick as well as having the pick that he wanted. Now we have the opportunity to get the DEFENSIVE PLAYER that we need to fill another hole on the roster.
According to Central Scouting and their most recent rankings:
1) Steven Stamkos (C), Sarnia Sting
2) Zach Bogosian (D), Peterborough Petes
3) Drew Doughty (D), Guelph Storm
4) Alex Pietrangelo (D), Niagara Ice Dogs MONO
5) Nikita Filatov (LW), Russian Central Army
6) Luke Schenn (D), Kelona Rockets
7) Mikkel Boedker (LW), Kitchener Rangers
8) Colin Wilson (C), Team USA/Boston University
9) Tyler Myers (D), Kelowna Rockets
10) Cody Hodgson (C), Brampton Battalion
In the way Tampa Bay’s representative Dave Andreychuk was talking, he seemed very intent on going with Stamkos in June, which means that Lombardi has top pick among ALL of the available defensemen. I personally want Luke Schenn. He’s the player we need on the blueline with his size and role that he plays for Kelowna.
I wanted to end by saying that I LOVE Canadian coverage of hockey. TSN makes even the lottery seem so epic, which, for the teams ranked 25-30, was the case.
Dean, it’s time to make it happen.