Jordan Clarkson Being A Top Lakers Asset Is No Fluke In 2016


The Lakers picked up some promising young talent this off-season, but one of their most valuable assets will be entering year two — Jordan Clarkson.

What we’ve seen from the Lakers’ Summer League play shouldn’t be taken for granted or taken too seriously — it’s the Summer League for a reason.

Fred Roggin of NBC made the point in a sit down with LA Sports Hub that 85% of the Summer League players don’t necessarily make the team and the other 15% could potentially end up  in the D-League.

What’s Roggin’s point?

More from LA Sports Hub

Stop taking early failure so seriously.

The Lakers know that they have to move past Kobe Bryant at some point at it’s honestly better that they face that music now than never.

If not now, when exactly?

Clarkson was involved with a healthy amount of Lakers basketball last year — 59 games overall, with 38 starts.

In those appearances as a rookie, Clarkson posted up an average of 12 points, four assists, and three rebounds.

For a rookie trying to stake his own claim on such a historic franchise — in his first year, of all times — that’s not bad.

Not bad at all — and that’s the truth.

Jordan Clarkson also factors into LA’s equation when it comes to the growth and development of young guns D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle.

Despite only having one more year of experience than D’Angelo Russell, Clarkson will be that guy that both Russell and Randle will get to look to down the road.

The consequences the Lakers could face for not focusing on the road ahead are enormous.

Teams like the Minnesota Timberwolves are already reaping the early benefits of putting off their best basketball for later on, as they will now have three No. 1 draft picks in their lineup.

Karl-Anthony Towns of Kentucky being the latest one to join the party up north.

Before Towns came along, the T-Wolves picked up Andrew Wiggins from the Cleveland Cavaliers (No. 1 pick in 2014) along with Anthony Bennett (No. 1 pick from 2013).

If the Lakers can try and piece their own puzzle together like Minnesota’s been able to do over the last couple seasons, the guarantee is very strong that sooner than later they’ll enter a new phase of contention.

And that’s what we all want, anyways, right?

This coming season can’t all be about Kobe Bryant if the Lakers want to put their full trust in what lies ahead.

Yes, it’ll be Kobe’s farewell tour and all that, but do you really expect the group the Lakers have right now to make it anywhere close to the NBA Finals?

If you do, I hope you put your money where your mouth is and bank early in Vegas, because most people don’t see what you do.

Bottom Line: Jordan Clarkson is worth the extra effort.

Plus, Clarkson’s the kind of guy that can bring all the needed hype into the locker room that may or may not come with other gambles.

Clarkson was definitely a steal for Los Angeles, so it’d be a shame to see them put his good talents to waste.